Wednesday, February 3, 2016

DIY Tuesday: Glass Luminaries, Part II

Greetings, Spooklings!

I know it looks like I've been slacking off, lately; but I've been busy starting a new gig and fighting off an infection. Between those two, it's been tough to make time for fun, unfortunately.

However, I did finally get around to painting some glass luminaries! I admit, I wasn't able to get to them all, but that's only because I'm trying to take my time and make them really nice. So, tonight, I'll be featuring two finished luminaries, and then I'll add in photos of the other two as they're finished (announcements on social media will be made at such times).


As you probably saw last week, I cut some old Starbucks bottles near the bottom to make them into luminaries. This week, I started them off with a brief cleaning, then gave them very watered down coats of my chosen colors (because it's all I have, I used acrylics) on the inside of the bottles. Before painting, I pre-folded some paper towels so I could let the bottles drip dry after being painted. This created a nice, even coat once dry, making it look like stained glass.


All the bottles freshly painted internally and dripping dry.



I wasn't really sure what I was doing design-wise while choosing colors for the bottles, so I just went for colors I generally decorate with and hopped on Pinterest to gather inspiration.



Pretty bottles in the daylight! I layered the purple on a little differently, as it didn't show up very well on a sheer coat like the rest. I'm hoping to come up with a good design to work with the pattern I created.



Inner view and a closer look at the dried finish.



This is after about six hours of playing around with paint in my room. It was 1am. I was tired.



Close-ups of the (maybe) finished touches. I enjoy dotwork!



I wanted to make this one look like an old, rusty lamp one would find in an abandoned factory. It ended up very Steampunky instead, which I'm not terribly upset about...





...I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'm (slightly) obsessed with stars. Welp, here ya go.



I started getting Don McLean's Vincent stuck in my head while painting this, so I've decided this is inspired by Van Gogh. I love him.





It's hard to tell, but the blue paint is oddly transparent. I'm really excited to see both of these with lights in them...once I buy the lights!


Two down, and two to go! As mentioned above, I'll post finished photos of these guys as I finish them! Thank you for joining me on this artsy fartsy adventure!

Have a vunderful evening.

STAY SPOOKY!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love both of these, but especially the lantern one. I would buy a set of these! Any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, to both of you! Mom, I go back and forth on selling these crafts. If I have any requests, I will gladly follow through with them, especially if it involves making a bit of side cash. Could always use the side cash!

    ReplyDelete