Wednesday, February 10, 2016

DIYTuesday: Spooky, Sneaky Air Neutralizers

Hello, Friends!

Tonight's DIY was a little impromptu because I recently started collecting toilet paper rolls for another, larger project, but found that I needed some instant gratification within this crafting vein before moving on.

Introducing my little invention: the Spooky, Sneaky Air Neutralizer!



With most of my windows temporarily sealed for the cold months, my apartment can get a little funky, at times. The kitchen also seems to hold a bit more humidity than any other kitchen I've used, as my produce tends to rot faster. TMI, I know, it's horrible stuff; but this is why I need these Spooky, Sneaky Air Neutralizers!



I've got a good stock pile of these, now; so pulling 3 for a mini project was no big deal. Here they are, posing for the camera, completely innocent to the slaughter that awaits them...



"GAAH, NO! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HAVE MERCAAAYYYYYYY"



In order to fill them with baking soda, I needed to make bottoms for these guys. Keeping it simple, I grabbed some old drawing paper and my compass.



I found the diameter of the most round toilet paper roll I had and marked that length on the paper, before eyeballing the center and using that new length to draw out the bottoms.



Pre-merge. They look nervous.



Once I had the bottoms cut out and ready for action, I grabbed some packaging tape and wrapped it, sticky side in, around one end of each TP roll. This tape will be used to hold and seal the bottom of these little dishes, so be sure to give yourself plenty to work with.



I cut tabs in the tape to make folding inward easier. After shimmying the paper bottom into place (around a lot of swearing--those bastards were stubborn because I made them a little too big), I gently but firmly folded each tab of tape onto the bottom.



They aren't the best bottoms, but they'll serve their purpose. That's all I ask!



The gang in the good old days.



My design options. I opted out of painting because, you know, cardboard; so I dug these freaking adorable scrapbook papers out from my archives. I bought these back in Fall of 2011 for a dinner party I threw for the joy of the season. 

It has actually come in really handy to have some scrap spooky paper around, as a side note/tip. Packets like the one I got (which came with all designs pictured) has proven time and again to be very versatile in use.



There were some scrap squares left from the dinner party, which is what I used because it was easy. I tabbed and taped the bottoms and folded them over like I did with the tape.  



In the process of folding.



I gave each roll two different patterns just for funsies. Here is angle 1;



aaand angle 2.



Here is the magic behind this operation: baking soda, or air neutralizer!
I love my giant bag of baking soda.



Once filled, all these cuties needed were homes; so I wandered the apartment for a bit and found the most suitable nesting zones for them. The first place I went was the trash can in the kitchen, then to the cupboard above it. Hopefully, we'll start noticing a difference soon!



Another common stinky area: the bathroom.



Another bathroom hiding place, this one a little further from the shower and toilet.



Nestled in with the laundry stuffs...



Spot the Spook! Another kitchen "hiding" place.



Finally, I set the last one in an area of the apartment that is affected the most by everyone in the apartment, through either leaving or returning--the living room. This room doesn't typically get smelly unless victimized by the smells of another room; however it is the place we carry in the most stuff from the outside...so I thought it best to leave at least one in there.



No comments:

Post a Comment