Tuesday, January 19, 2016

DIY Tuesday: Banner Decoration

Greetings, Spooklings!

I spent the majority of yesterday playing on a project for today, ended up having a bunch of fun (and grumpy moments), and came out of it with a sweet new decoration for my room!



I'll admit, I've been pretty nervous about planning DIY projects that I can afford and do easily by myself...without ripping all of my hair out in the process. I'm still working on that, honestly; but I was lucky enough to already have something started up from a few months back that I could use (hopefully) for momentum. 



I already had these stars cut out from some cardboard I had laying around at the end of the Halloween season. I have a slightly unexplained obsession with stars--I have them cut out in tin foil and paper and scattered around my room for decoration. Never understood it, but never really tried to, either.

I used a tool of my boyfriend's to poke two holes near the tops of the stars to make threading the twine (at the end) easier. I considered just poking one hole so I could have the option of both sides of the stars, as well as horizontal AND vertical usage; but I liked the idea of them laying flat on the wall, so I chose the two hole method.



Once I had holes punched in all of them, I laid them out in the pattern I planned to hang them in. This was to get a good idea for design and color ideas.



Naturally, I started with the purple paint. I'm pretty sad that my camera (and the awful lighting of my bedroom) wasn't able to pick up the gorgeous, perfect hue of violet this is; but believe me when I say it's freaking rad.



I painted the stars on both sides. I'm thinking about going back and painting words on the other side of them for the Season. We'll see.

I mixed my own colors for the orange and green because I didn't quite have the right hues that I wanted. The orange came out perfectly pumpkin-y and the green was wonderfully gross.



Here are a few photos of the progression of designs being made and drawn/painted out.




My paints gathered around my paint plate. I used a plate I knew I'd be able to scrape easily and wash really well after use because I just don't like wasting paper plates and am too cheap to actually go and buy a thingy for paint holdins.

I also used uni-ball pen to draw out some of my black designs. It gave me a bunch more control.



The finished (for now) products before I strung them up.



The top 'rung' all together. I wanted to keep things pretty simple, so I left a good amount of them just solid. I really like how that spider web turned out.



The middle 'rung' with cats' eyes, Frankie skin, and Victorian-inspired scribbles.



The rest will be from the bottom 'rung'. There were too many to fit in one picture!



This was, of course, my favorite; and I'm really proud at how it turned out. It says, "IT'S ALIVE!" in the corner with the life-energy lightening bolts coming down to spark the Bride's curve. Love it. Can't stop looking at it.



I made a fire star and a Jack O' Star.



After everything was dry and ready to be up on a wall, I re-punched the holes through the dried paint and cut my desired lengths of twine. I had that burlap color as well as that awesome orange hue. To get that piecey thread through those small holes, I wrapped masking tape around one end of each piece of twine (pictured above). It made that job so much easier (and less swearing was done).



All strung up and ready to hang. 

I tied clear push pins to the ends of the twine once everything was set, and pinned them to my wall (see below).



Just to show the contrast of colors.



The finished product in all its glory above my bed. Again, lighting is horrible in my room, so please excuse the lack of quality.

Having this little guy over my bed has really opened up my mind to more possibilities in my DIY future. I had a lot of fun making this, and it got my eyes off the computer screen for a good 5 or 6 hours. So, all around success!

I am still very much open to suggestions on DIY projects, as I have only a few ideas! Please let me know what you'd like to see me make! 

I hope you've enjoyed this weeks' DIY Tuesday! Thanks for joining me; and, as always, STAY SPOOKY!!! 


2 comments:

  1. I love all the designs on your stars! It's hard to choose a favorite. Like you, I feel the lightning bolt going into the bride of Frankensteins's hair is pretty amazing. It's 3D like and clear. Yet I really like the fire, jack-o-lantern, cat's eyes, and Victorian lace. Do you have advice on how to draw/paint eyes? They are always so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked them! When I went to draw those eyes, I just drew--or thought of--almonds. haha And then I was really careful while drawing the circle of the iris and slit of the pupil, since it was in ink. I don't know if that even explains it well; however, that's the best I can do.

    ReplyDelete