Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Birth Of DIY Tuesdays

Greetings! I skipped last Tuesday's post because I realized I was already sick of writing about news, even in the horror world. So, I've decided to start DIY Tuesdays, instead. I'm still working out how I'm going to do (and afford) this; but, as of right now, I'd like to have a new, small project to work on and share with you all every week. We'll see how it goes.

For my first DIY Tuesday, I would like to share with you some of the spooky-inspired jewelry I've made!



I've made around 10 simple friendship bracelets, a few necklaces, and one anklet. Only a few of those are from my spooky line; however, if you'd like to view all of them, go to my art/modeling Facebook page: Violet Moon Arts. Above is a photo of my spooky line all together (most of it, there are a couple of stragglers that didn't make it into this shot).




This was one of my first. It's a simple, three-strand braid with two threads per strand. The colors I used include Pumpkin Flesh (orange), Witches' Wart (purple), Cross My Path (black), and Frankie's Skin (green)! All colors were (joyfully) named by me!




While making these, I was going for a fair amount of variety with designs that I could work out from once I got a feel for what people like (I didn't sell very many of them, so I just wear them around, now!). I liked playing with bead placement and consistency, as I was still working with simple braids--it was all I knew, at the time!
Materials/Colors used in this bracelet are Gerbil's Eyes (black beads), Pumpkin Flesh, Cross My Path, and Witches' Wart.




This is the one anklet I made--I actually made it to convert from anklet to bracelet...but I think that's just any anklet, really. This is probably my favorite piece in the collection because it looks like I did way more work for this one than I really did! I just tied a bunch of different-colored threads together, tied individual knots to hold the beads in place, and then tied the other end to make them drape a little unevenly. Super simple and really cute!
Materials/Colors included are Gerbil's Eyes, Dried Blood (reddish brown), Witches' Wart, and Frankie's Skin!




Lastly, this is my Frankenstein-inspired bracelet! The creating of this one is harder to explain. If you'd like to know how I did it, click this link and scroll past the bleach tutorial at the top of the page. The second tutorial on there should be this weave. If it doesn't show, let me know and I'll find a way to get it to you!
I gave this bracelet classic Frankie colors (Frankie's Skin and Witches' Wart) and added the Gerbil Eyeballs to look like his bolts, hence why they're grouped in twos. This bracelet is a bit more durable because I added wax string as my reinforcing middle, looping string; and it had a button to clasp it instead of a grouping of Gerbil's Eyes.
I also made a Swamp Monster- and Mummy-inspired bracelet; however, I sold the Mummy one almost immediately after making it and the Swamp Monster one is buried deep....somewhere....


I hope you guys enjoyed the first DIY Tuesday! If there's anything spooky you'd like to see me make, please comment below and I will see what I can do budget- and Genius Virginia-wise (I have a hard time figuring these things out, sometimes...so, if nothing else, this series should be amusing). I appreciate the suggestions (in advance)!

STAY SPOOOKY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment