Tuesday, January 26, 2016

DIY Tuesday: Glass Luminaries

Hello, and welcome to DIY Tuesdays!

Today's post will have two parts because, unfortunately, I'm not feeling well tonight and can't muster the energy to paint anything. Luckily, I already have some of the work done, though! Let me show you:


I have a really hard time throwing away glass bottles; so when I had a job that required coffee on the regular, I started a bit of a collection of Starbucks bottles. I love the versatility of their shape: I'm using them in this project as a type of luminary/hanging light thingy, but I also use one in the shower to hold my apple cider vinegar face wash concoction. They've definitely been great to have on hand!



I'm pretty lucky because my boyfriend works at a glass shop, so we had access to loud whirring things that cut right through them in seconds--a wet saw or something like that; glass needs water to cut. Most people don't have one of those just laying around, though; so I found a simple tutorial for you to follow, if interested.



I asked him to cut just below the label so that I would have plenty of space on which to paint. The saw gave them a pretty clean cut, initially.



Mounted and ready to be cut.



T doing the heavy work. Don't trust me around big blades.



Here are the bottles and their bottoms, probably feeling a little disoriented. I would be too if I was suddenly sitting next to my ass.



T grinding the edges down so we don't cut ourselves while working with them.



Finally, we peeled the labels off (it's pretty easy on these bottles), and used some heavy duty grime remover to lose the last of the sticker yuck. After a rinse, I left them out to dry and haven't touched them since.


Until next week, friends! This adventure shall continue with some cute paint jobs, and then I'll figure out how to rig a light on them! I'm pretty excited about it...but, for now, I'm going to go lay down.

Have a creepy night! STAY SPOOKY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment